Write your plan.
The Plan
I would like to deliver
the first session (out of my planned 10 week class), which will cover course
orientation and introduction. Additionally, it will cover etiquette
expectations (sometimes called “netiquette”) for online discussions, email, and
other forms of communication are stated clearly; and prerequisite knowledge in
the discipline and/or any required competencies are clearly stated. More
importantly, I will provide a self-introduction and students will be asked to
introduce themselves to the class.
The Audience
Although I would love to deliver this session to a real audience,
I am not in a position to do that just yet, so I will be delivery this first
session to fictitious students. These students are community college students
who are uncertain about their career goals and how it relates to their
educational goals as a student. They are students that are looking for career
exploration help or students who are looking to develop their professional
skills and move up the corporate ladder. With such a wide range of students in
this course, I anticipate a variety of learning characteristics some of which
might have or have no technology experience at all. Or some might even have
learning disabilities.
The Delivery
My delivery for this first
session will be a syllabus, a course orientation file, and a welcome email.
Time/Place
My delivery plan for this session is to
provide the syllabus and course orientation file the very first day of class,
and send out the email before class is schedule to begin. I might to decide to
send out that email at the beginning of the week or a few days before class—it
depends on whether or not there are school policies about communicating with
students before the official start date of the class.
Good Start
Materials
a.
Welcome Email
b.
Technology Checklist
c.
Course site Readiness Checklist
d.
Syllabus
e.
Course Orientation File
i. Netiquette
Expectations
ii. Prerequisite
Knowledge
f.
Self-Introduction
g.
Student Introduction
Delivery Assessment
I will gauge the success of my delivery by evaluating my students’ participation in the introduction assignment, and the amount of questions I receive on how to navigate the course, assignments, and any other questions related to the orientation of the course. My rubric is as follows:
|
Course Overview and Introduction
|
1.1 Instructions make
clear how to get started and where to find various course components.
|
3
|
|
|
1.2 Students are
introduced to the purpose and structure of the course.
|
3
|
||
|
1.3 Etiquette expectations
(sometimes called “netiquette”) for online discussions, email, and other
forms of communication are stated clearly.
|
2
|
||
|
1.4 Course and/or
institutional policies with which the student is expected to comply are
clearly stated, or a link to current policies is provided.
|
2
|
||
|
1.5 Prerequisite
knowledge in the discipline and/or any required competencies are clearly
stated.
|
1
|
||
|
1.6 Minimum technical
skills expected of the student are clearly stated.
|
1
|
||
|
1.7 The self-introduction
by the instructor is appropriate and available online.
|
1
|
||
|
1.8 Students are asked to
introduce themselves to the class.
|
1
|
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteWell done. I like your plan and good start. Besides, you gauge the success of my delivery by evaluating my students’ participation in the introduction assignment, and the amount of questions such as rubric. I learn many good points in your post.
Thanks for sharing.
Chun Yi Huang